Monday, May 30, 2022

Day 58

Trail miles: 11.9
Total: 767.0








I am writing this at 3:00 pm because I don’t think anything else will happen today. We are eating dinner now and heading to get as much sleep as possible before waking up around midnight to summit Mt Whitney for sunrise. The climb is about 8 miles and hopefully won’t take more than 5 hours. We are camped at the bottom of the mountain close to the ranger station about a mile off the PCT. We’ve heard there is no snow so we won’t pack microspikes. But we will bring sleeping bags because of how cold it is and if we have to sit there to wait for sunrise. 

Last night should have been the best sleep, but it was my worst. I pitched my tent on the flattest spot so far on trail, but I laid there for hours listening to multiple full podcasts before I fell asleep. The uphills were steep today. I don’t know if that’s what made me nauseous, or if it was the large breakfast cookie I ate, or the altitude. I didn’t really feel better until I drank a bunch of Mio. Not sure what that means. We hiked into a really beautiful area below Mt. Whitney with a nice cold creek through the center. We had 2 creek crossings today, one of which I hear Krista totally fell into. It makes me laugh hearing her and Brad retell the story. The camp in area has so many tents spread out. We ran into a bunch of people we knew who are a day ahead of us. I headed through all the tents to Big Owl about our start time and it was so weird to see everyone asleep in the middle of the day. Or trying to sleep. Hopefully I can get some sleep now, if not I’ll just relax and rest my body for as long as possible. Alarm at 10:00 pm! Oh and we are camped far from the others and not using the pit toilets because we heard there might be neurovirus going around.

No comments:

Post a Comment