Wednesday, May 4, 2022

Day 36

Trail miles: 16.5
Total: 460.8










We got up early and headed to Agua Dulce for breakfast, which was 10 miles down the trail. We had a 1000 ft climb right off the bat and my pack was as full as ever with all my food. I took about 2 breaks and made it before the heat of the day really hit. The food at the Homemade Diner was good yet somehow didn’t fill me up. I wasted some time after that drying things out and trying to upload photos to Facebook again. There was basically only 4 places in the area to go to and they were all restaurants. Finally it was time to eat again and I ordered the daily special, which was a mistake, because it definitely could have fed a family of four. I ate about half and packed out the rest, but it will probably end up in the garbage in Hikertown. We then had 2 miles of road walk out of town. The good part about the trail going through towns is the convenience of not having to hitch and eating a meal right on trail. The worst part is the dangerous road walks. The never make them safe for hikers even though it’s literally the PCT and cars don’t slow down. After two more trail miles, we signed the trail registry and started up yet another large hill around 7:15pm. We had to turn our headlamps on around 8 or 8:30, which was my first time night hiking. And then I quickly gave up for the day when I saw the first flat spot to camp. I don’t know what it was, my hip or my enormous 
 pack weight, but I just needed to stop. I guess we all have bad days and today I didn’t have to push through the pain. Raechel and Krista are worried about tomorrows water carry. There is a spring coming up in a couple miles and a water cache soon after, but both are unreliable. The next reliable water source is in 18 miles. They have about a liter and a half left each so they will need one of those to pan out. Cole texted and verified the spring water being ok and the water filter filtering out most of the sulphuric taste. Oh did I mention we are hiking through LA?! I can’t believe I made it to LA. We went past these cool rock formations that apparently a lot of movies were filmed at, like Star Trek. And we got some trail magic! Pop and chips from a cooler outside a white van on the street. This is the only time you would probably ever just accept gift like that in the middle of nowhere.


No comments:

Post a Comment