Wednesday, May 4, 2022

Day 32

Trail miles: 16.7

Total: 400.6






I woke up with cramping calves today, which means I am ready to take one of the tailwind electrolytes that I brought. I actually drank it during dinner so I will probably be up all night peeing. We got to the first picnic site with pit toilets and ate some snacks there. We met the friendliest group of middle aged church friends who were really interested in our hike and how it all worked. They seemed to be excited to get into hiking and wanted to know how to plan some overnight trips! One lady was even interested in doing what we are doing. We saw them again at the top of Mt Williamson where we stopped for more snacks. It was funny how they didn’t really know each other before the hike, but the lady gathered whoever she could to go. I hope they do get to take some trips! We made it to where the detour started (and stopped for more snacks) and were passed by a triple crown calendar year hiker. This is when someone hikes the PCT, CDT, and AT all in the same calendar year. He did not have time to stop and chat which was sad, but makes sense. We saw him head off down the road detour even with his wife in the car in the parking lot, so I knew we also should do the miles instead of hitching. I figure it should be a continuous footpath if an alternate is an option. The alternate was because there is a protected endangered frog species habitat. It added on a couple miles maybe, it’s hard to read the side trails on FarOut. We got to see a big waterfall and met the UCLA outdoor club in the process. And then we pushed our way to mile 400!! It is fitting we got there because it is our one month trail-iversary! I can’t believe we have been out here hiking for a month all day with only three zeros. We are camped at Camp Glenwood which wasn’t marked as a campsite, but it turned out to be a great place to stay. Maybe not in the high season, but no one is here tonight except lots of thru hikers. My dehydrated taco dinner with Del Taco hot sauce packets was so good! I’m always happier with homemade food. Also another night with pit toilets and toilet paper, the best part.

No comments:

Post a Comment