Sunday, May 8, 2022

Day 39

Trail miles: 17.5
Total: 517.6












I think I am getting better at this! Or maybe I just had a really good day. I need to take less breaks so I can finish the day earlier. Well I started in the wrong road and quickly turned around to get on the right road. Then a cold 2 miles uphill in the fog. I got a couple of sunrise shots on the way up. I lost the group all morning. I took a break about 4 miles in and had the best cliff bar, which was coffee flavored and had one shot of espresso in it. Which reminds me, I need to order more. The morning was calming once it warmed up a bit. I listened to some podcasts and when I got service, I tried calling my mom while hiking for the first time. I think it went well when the wind wasn’t too loud!  I just have to make sure I’m on a downhill so my breathing isn’t too loud. I cut the call short when I saw trail magic! Cheshire Cat was cutting up fresh fruit! I got watermelon and threw a stick to the dog a bunch of times. At this point I was still alone and found out Brad had left about 20 minutes before me. I thought Raechel and Krista were ahead, but they came rolling in shortly. They had to take the side trail for water and stopped for breakfast as well. They must have been on the side trail when I passed and missed them. The rest of the day was PUDs or pointless up and downs. We made it into Hikertown at about 3:00pm, which is just a sanctuary on the side of the trail run by Marta and some others. I was taking video footage of the old western buildings when she called me in to have tamales! The drink she made was flour, hibiscus sugar, and water. Next was the market, which we were shuttled to by the store owner. I got the smallest bacon wrapped stuffed chicken on the planet; it was so sad looking. The rest of the stuff was expensive so I didn’t get more than what I really wanted. Back at the campsite we all hung around to eat more tamales and filter water before heading out tomorrow. I have about 3.5 liters to take with me the 17 miles. We decided to day hike the aqueduct because it hasn’t been terribly hot out and we don’t want to hike when we should be sleeping. Tomorrow might be my longest day on trail, but it’s flat so that may help! There are currently so many stabby ends of bushes caught in my socks, pants, and silk liner that I can’t get out. Every time I move it itches. I may have to get new sleep clothes once we leave the desert. 

No comments:

Post a Comment