Sunday, May 8, 2022

Day 40

Trail miles: 22.7

Total: 540.3











What a day! Unlike any we’ve had on trail so far. We got up a little later today because we were waiting for breakfast and coffee to be served at Hikertown, which was 7-8. I got up to go to the bathroom and my pillow blew away and hit another sleeping hiker. I had to run and get it, and said sorry as I passed the guy. The biscuits were so good! I wanted more because I am now always hungry. We said goodbye to Lifeguard, Metric, Tal, and Seabear who weren’t headed out yet. Metric was resting his foot for a day or two. We hit the Aqueduct pretty quickly and just as quick as it showed up, it disappeared. But just enough time for Raechel ti squeeze in a joke as she pointed to a duck in the water calling it an Aque-duck. She was very proud of that one. The whole day was on a dirt road that was very flat. There were a lot of animal footprints in the cement pathway, which made it look like different animals were walking across it while it was drying. We pretty much hit the same mileage though that we usually do. The wind made it cold so I kept my pants on during the peak windy times. We met up with other hikers after lunch to help entertain the most boring part of the trail. I began a book on the flat section then switched to music for motivation during the hills. And then the wind picked up so bad in the last couple miles that I had to walk at a 30 degree angle to the left to stay on my feet. We stopped early to sleep in a campsite that might have more coverage than the one up the hill. There are about 10 or 15 other hikers here huddle around the tree for wind protection. Luckily I was still able to use my stove for dinner and now the wind has kind of died down. Still has its moments though, but not as often. We hope to wake up before it gets bad again and do 15-20 miles. The next water source is the last one before Tehachapi so lots to carry!

No comments:

Post a Comment