Wednesday, May 11, 2022

Day 43

Trail miles: 0
Total: 566.5













Woke up to a wonderful continental breakfast!! We had waffles, muffins, eggs, oatmeal, bagels, cereal, and lots more goodies. I was able to bring some upstairs to weave into my resupply. I’m hoping to use the bagels for tuna sandwiches and the peanut butter for my oatmeal. The coffee bar was even better. I was able to mix hot chocolate with coffee and add French vanilla creamer. Just enough to pep me up for our resupply trip. A trail angel, Curtis, drove us to Walmart where he did his grocery shopping along side us. It’s like Dancing with the Stars, but resupplying with the thru hikers. We are, again, blown away and so thankful for the kindness. I got 5 days worth of food. I already had 3 dinners so I added Velveeta mac and cheese, where you only add hot water to, and stir fry noodles. I have some dehydrated beans so I bough Jersey sticks to hopefully create some type of lunch wrap. I have to do something different because I can’t eat peanut butter and jelly anymore. It was nice while it lasted. My food bag seems to weigh a lot lighter than after the last town, but I think that was because I sent myself stuff from home, which I probably didn’t know any better before I started. Also I end up accumulating so much non substantial food items like hot chocolate, jelly packets, and chocolates that have melted in the sun. So I got rid of a lot of those. I need more fuel though which I haven’t found yet; a task for tomorrow. I also need to pick up my package from the post office and patch my sleeping pad. It would be so nice not to have to blow it up a couple times a night. Town chores suck. But it’s nice that they are spread out over 4 days. For lunch, we had the tramily over for a charcuterie spread. I found my new favorite snack: a cracker, smoked Gouda, salami, apricot preserves, and a strawberry. We ate in the pool area and bounced between hot tub, pool, and snack table. It was great because our hotel pool was indoor so we didn’t have to worry about cold Tehachapi winds. I bought a 2 liter of Dr Pepper, but I should know better that hikers only drink alcohol in towns. So I have to finish it on my own tomorrow. I’m sure Brad will help me. A quick shower for everyone and we were headed for more food at the Red House BBQ restaurant. My thought process was I wasn’t hungry enough for ribs or brisket, so I got the catfish po boy? With a side dish of mac and cheese of course. That’s where I learned about the rogue bull apparently terrorizing hikers around mile 590. We will definitely pass up that campsite. Anyway, the restaurant owner was super cool and friendly. She gave us leftover ribs and brownies which were delicious. Now I sit alone in the hotel room watching Survivor and I’m very happy about it. The group always goes later and for more beers than I can handle. Early bedtime for me as usual!

No comments:

Post a Comment