Saturday, May 21, 2022

Day 49

Trail miles: 15.9
Total: 654.3
















Town day! It’s always the best to look forward to, then I get there and freak out until I get back in trail. We broke camp and left around 6:00am as per usual and had a nice 13.5 mile hike to the hitching spot. We contacted a couple trail angels while hiking and was offered a ride from Laura at noon. We got to the campground around 11:00am where Happy and Salty were enjoying the water cache and clementines. We threw away our garbage, used the pit toilets, and headed to the hitching point where the trail crosses the highway, which was about 1 mile away. As we sat down to wait, more and more hikers showed up behind us looking for the same thing we were. I told the first couple they were welcome to use our hitch, but it became less likely that everyone would fit as more groups showed up. One car pulled up and emptied a hiker, and the hiker in the back said they could fit 2 more to Ridgecrest. I wasn’t going to go since we had already arranged a ride and it would be rude to Laura to leave. Someone mentioned that was the first time the girl had picked up hikers and I thought it was funny that hikers were already trying to jump in her car for a hitch before she even stopped the car. Laura turned out to be an awesome trail angel, even if here driving was a little swervy. Her car was able to hold 7 hikers, which was exactly how many people that were waiting! The other hikers were very cool to meet. They were doing a challenge where they bought dresses, even the men, in Tehachapi, and are hiking in them all the way to Kennedy Meadows, which is about 150 miles. They are hiking this using only local permits, so they had to go to the library and print their permits they bought for the Sierras. They said it hadn’t been too difficult so far. 

I headed straight for the Panda Express when we got to town. Raechel went to the post office, which was across town, so we ended up doing resupply and town things separately. I filled my water and packed out some orange chicken. Resupplying at Walmart was very overstimulating. People everywhere kept trying to talk to me about the PCT or making comments about how I was a thru hiker. All in kindness off course! I wasn’t able to get everything from Walmart because it’s not the best for snacks of smaller portions. That’s where gas stations are superior. Before I dreaded the heat, I went to the Subway in the Walmart to grab cookies, sit in the back, call my mom, and pack my food in my bag. I think that was the least stressed I was and I wish I could have stayed there longer. I like to get my food into my bag as soon as possible, because the food being in the center of my bag helps protect my chocolates and cheeses from the heat. The lady at the gas Speedway was very kind to me and let me bring my bag inside and pack my snacks into my food bag. Last, I waited in the Starbucks and charged my gadgets until Greg picked me up with Raechel in tow. Apparently Raechel was pestered by a man who spoke poor English. He was trying to get her to come sleep at the shelter, because he thought she was homeless! At least there is someone looking out for the homeless there. Anyway, Greg was super cool. He is a naval pilot stationed in Ridgecrest for a 3 year contract working on new technology planes like unmanned UAVs. His car had tons of spots to keeps charging my stuff, too. He stopped on the side of the road when I wanted a picture of the town sign saying “100 miles from everywhere” which is apparently not an exaggeration. He wouldn’t accept gas payment, because he hopes to hike the PCT in 2025 and is working on paying it forward in hopes of trail magic for his hike. Thank you to trail angels like Greg!!!

Krista was waiting for us at the trailhead with snacks we all forgot that we gave to her in Tehachapi. I took my tuna but said we need to get rid of everything else. A couple who lives the van life was able to take the rest of it and toss it or hand it out to other hikers at the campground. They sounded like they had a very adventurous lifestyle! It’s funny to mention that they live in separate vans and travel in different directions most of the time. We climbed 2 miles to a campsite on the ridge. I am cowboy camped behind a big bush that I hope will block most of the wind. Well, that was a lot for today. Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment