Saturday, May 21, 2022

Day 52

Trail miles: 8.7
Total: 702.2











My alarm startled me this morning. Usually I wake up on my own, but I knew people were trying to make it for breakfast in Kennedy Meadows and I didn’t want to be the last to leave. I feel like I have the most to do in the mornings. We basically didn’t stop until we got to town, which was about 9 miles. The Kern River was a nice sight to see, but not enough to do more than delay us for a picture or two. We did not make it for lunch at either place. At the General Store, we were greeted with cheering as we rolled up, because we are done with the desert! It was also very crowded and overwhelming with backpackers. I wanted to leave almost immediately, which we pretty much did. I wish I would have taken more advantage of the Wi-Fi though because it was not free at Grumpy Bear. This must be where the rivalry occurs between the two placed to camp. The showers, package pickup, and camping are free at Grumpy Bear, so we are here for the night, but may go back tomorrow. Throughout the day I had a burger, fried shrimp, and a cocktail that were all really good! The showers here are outdoor, so if you are taller than me, you can probably see the mountains while you shower, or so I’m told. The day went by pretty quickly honestly, or maybe it’s because the cocktail put me to bed before sundown. Tomorrow I have to patch my sleeping pad, but some more food and gear from the outfitter, and figure out how to get my bear canister on to my pack. All after more food of course. I could pay someone to run my feet right now.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Rebecca! Congrats on making it out of the desert! We missed you for a few days there. Your Aunt Mary and I always look forward to reading your blog. You've probably seen a gazillion PCT videos, but here's another one, https://youtu.be/yE5PGe6B95o. Chronicles of a PCT hiker and his McDoubles. It's a little old, but a good one. Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete