Sunday, May 22, 2022

Day 54

Trail miles: 0
Total: 702.2













Somehow today was a much more relaxing day. Not entirely, but I did feel more accomplished. I got up bright and early to be in line around the front for breakfast. And we were able to get the Tottenham game on the TV! In non hiking related news, Tottenham win 5-0 to secure their spot in the Champions League!! And Sonny won the Golden Boot. The breakfast burrito was definitely not as good as the Hiker Breakfast. Next on the agenda was to fit my food supply into my bear canister. The first try was a complete failure and I had to step away for a little. Big Owl gave me the top to have my canister on its side and stack the food sideways and it worked! I got 6 days of food in there. The seventh will be on the outside of my pack to eat tomorrow. Technically we don’t need the bear canisters for another 3 days, so I’ll have to stuff some things like mayonnaise packets in my pack. Good luck to future Rebecca packing more than 6 days of food in there. Big Owl somehow got 12 days of food in hers, but her meals look much different than mine. I raised it up over my head when I was done and ran around saying “I did it!” Now I may have to unpack it though if it doesn’t fit in my pack. You aren’t really supposed to have a heavy item on top, they should be in the middle of your pack, close to your back. So I would put something lighter in the canister like clothes and stove in there while I was hiking and toss it on the top of my pack. Kendall drove Raechel, Krista, Coffee, and I to the Kern River to take a dip and eat some snacks in a different place than the back porch of Grumpy Bear. I had a cream soda, which was not as good as the Stewart’s brand. When we got back, I hopped straight into the shower and put the same exact clothes back on. It will smell again by the end of tomorrow anyway. I cleaned my pot and spoon, then had a long chat with almost everyone in the family (hope you are sleeping well in Germany Kiersten!) By the way Kiersten, every single German hiking this trail knows where you live. Sometimes I show the picture of you in front of your work sign. I always bring you up to the Germans, but I’m sure you’re not surprised. Only one couple was from Aachen, and I hope to see them when I come visit, so you can be climbing friends! 

I got the sweet chili wings for the second night in a row because they were that good. I had a nice dinner with Brad and Spare Change! Bed time was supposed to be early, because we have to leave by 7:00am and tomorrow will be the first time with our bear canisters actually on our packs. But I’m sitting here charging my phone still. Maybe I’ll wait until I can walk back with the walkway lights again. Hopefully I get a good night sleep with the many loud snoring hikers around. But I have great news: the patch held up so well and I didn’t have to blow it back up when I woke up in the middle of the night. Such a relief!!

Krista says I should mention one last story. Apparently Boomerang asked Potluck “how is that Asian guy hiking with three hot girls?” referring to us! Brad says it’s because of his mixed nuts or something like that. It’s a joke because he only eat peanuts while hiking, so he’s got jars full of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment