Saturday, May 21, 2022

Day 51

Trail miles: 20.7
Total: 693.5









So fun fact, ants are cold blooded, so when the sun goes down, they stop moving. If you get up early enough, you can see them on trail start to wake. It’s similar to the humans. I made my way to the trail this morning, and a lot more people had showed up overnight. They were packing up. Along the trail, I passed late risers still in their tents and hikers gathering their belongings to move on. The ants pick up where they left off and continue with the days work. Brad says he is much like these ants too and doesn’t start going until he charges up in the sun.

Today was a rush day. We hiked and hiked with little breaks until we got to camp. I started early and hiked a casual pace by myself until I got to the first water source about 8 mile in. It was very enjoyable. At the road crossing was trail magic, but the only food left was cold cans of coke, which was still great! I decided to pack mine out, because it was still so early. I wrapped it in my puffy to keep it cold. The next 6 miles we’re uphill. It was split up by a spring 2 miles in which was a great excuse to take a break. That was the worst part of the hill, though, as I was able to hike the next 4 without stopping! At the top we were treated to a view of the Sierras, and if you could see Mt Whitney. But not me. I had no idea which one it was. Our break was short, because there was no shade and the rest was downhill. So we headed on to camp. We got there by 3:00pm and found some camps in the shade and a little waterfall to rinse our clothes out in. The gang is getting bigger. Tonight we shared a large dinner in my campsite along with all the ants. Tomorrow is a quick 8 miles to mile 700 and Kennedy Meadows, which means the end of the desert section! It’s bittersweet because the heat and maybe winds and long water carrys end, but now we have scary snow slopes and heavier packs from snow gear. Everyone says the views are worth it though! For now, looking forward to town showers, laundry, and food!

No comments:

Post a Comment