Tuesday, August 30, 2022

Day 150

Trail miles: 27.2
Total: 2529.7











Today was a lousy day in all sense of the word. I’m trying to write about it but I think I blocked most of it out. We woke up in a cold fog and the sun never came out all day. It started with a sketchy river crossing. There was a log, but it was slippery since it had been raining. Brad and Raechel were able to cross just fine. Krista crossed, but slipped on a wobbly rock at the end. Lifeguard decided to scoot her way across on her butt. I tried standing and scooting, but I nearly fell off both ways. I started hyperventilating a little while trying to decide what to do. Then the rocks on the other side of the river started falling! It wasn’t big and didn’t hit anyone, but it meant we had to leave quickly. I decided to ford the river. Rachel came back to cross with me. Krista threw over her sandals so I wouldn’t get my shoes and socks wet. Although when I tried to throw them across, one of them landed in the water and started floating away. I landed on a rock and smashed my shin. While I was writhing in pain and shock from my stupidity, Krista saved my shoe. Just like she saved my water filter in Nor Cal. I crossed in an easy spot without any whitewater. I should have just started out doing treat instead of wasting an hour of everyone’s time freaking out. I just didn’t want my shoes wet because I lost my other pair of socks and had horrible blisters already. Lunch was freezing so we didn’t stick around long. Then right after lunch I trip and was launched into the bushes of the edge of the trail. It took me a second to get back up. Then on another what probably should have been an easy water crossing, I stepping on a floating log that sent my falling on my face yet again. My feet dipped into the water on the way down. When I tried to get up, I started sliding back to the water. While I was trying to figure out how not to fall back into the water, a hiker found me and asked if I needed help getting up. I was just like “sorry I’m in the way I can’t get up.” Oh I hope I can look back on this and laugh one day. I think that was the last time I fell… no wait I just thought of another. My knee landed on a rock that time. I should mention that with all these accidents I pretty much didn’t stop crying until I finally made it to camp. We did an extra 4 or so miles up a hill that weren’t planned. But that’s ok since we will have less to do tomorrow. I basically ran the last 3 miles to try to make it to camp before sunset. It sets around 7:30pm so less wiggle room at the end of the day. The trail was so annoying because it was overgrown. Some of the trail was a drop off on one side, which is why I fell the one time. My foot slipped off the edge and I fell. And it’s hard to use your poles with the bushes in the way or the trail being too narrow. Anyway, it was cold again so I boiled water to put in my water bottle to put in my sleeping bag. I think it worked decent enough, but I miss my winter bag. 

No comments:

Post a Comment