Saturday, August 13, 2022

Day 130

Trail miles: 8.9
Side trail miles: 14.8
Total: 2147.8



















A boring morning of pushing miles I really didn’t want to do. I think I woke up my neighbors or they were just early risers. But I was out of there by 5:45am. I made it to the junction after about 13 miles, where I turned off the PCT to take a side trail into Cascade Locks. This trail is 15 miles, so it shaved off about 5 miles of trail. The next two miles were straight downhill. I ate shit twice in a row because I lost the trail and had to bushwack. I think this is where I lost my bandana that I keep in my back pocket. I didn’t realize this until a couple miles later, so I just decided it was lost. I met two woman out for a weekend trip who were very familiar with the trail. They knew all the names of the waterfalls and trails. I’m glad I leap frogged them for a bit. There was a section called the vertigo mile where the trail was a drop off on one side and a hand railing on the other for support. So passing hikers made for a scary time. They were all spectacular, but the best was Tunnel Falls. This is where you walked behind the waterfall through a small tunnel. Some of them were more difficult to see, but I wasn’t getting closer to the edge to get a picture. Once the waterfalls ended, I was full speed until the trailhead. Krista texted me to send her my resupply list since they were taking the bus to Walmart and would pick it up for me. I sat in the bench, looked ahead of me, and there was my bandana! Just sitting on the brick structure. Someone brought it there before I even made it. It’s good I took so long taking photos of the waterfalls or I might not have. A couple with a baby talked to me about their PCT hike a few years ago! They said they had to quit at the Bridge of the Gods because Washington was on fire, and they hope to finish one day. They offered me a ride to Cascade Locks, and I should have taken it, but I admit I was confused as to what they were offering at the time. And I thought I wanted to walk across the bridge and not drive over it, but I didn’t realize Cascade Locks was on this side of the river and I wouldn’t be crossing until tomorrow. Oh well, what’s another 3 miles. I passed a few southbounders on trail. I see a ton more of them who actually started at the border. Will make for more competitive campsites! I was headed toward the brewery for food when I passed a fish market. I check the menu inside and was immediately sold by air conditioning, clam chowder, and an outlet. My feet hurt so bad it felt so good to sit down and drink the ice cold water. I wasn’t ready to leave when the gang scooped by to pick me up to walk to the campground. I bought my $5 tent tag and put my tent up amongst the one hundred other tents in the area. The grass was nice and flat, so I was happy wherever! I went back into town right away to finish my resupply. I’m glad Krista did most of my resupply, but the lack of variety is sad. Cliff bars every day. At least I’m not tired of them yet. I’m the market, I saw Quadzilla! He is attempting the calendar year triple crown. I said “good luck Quadzilla!” as I passed, and he smiled! Then when I walked outside, he came up and talked to me about my camera. He was a very nice guy. Dinner was a chicken and rice bowl that was nothing special. Then I hobbled my way back to my tent for a sleep of people talking right next to me and the train running by and the flood light that would turn on when someone walked by.

No comments:

Post a Comment