Monday, July 18, 2022

Day 110

Trail miles: 21.4
Total: 1655.9






We all left together this morning and it was another race to town. We stopped only twice. The whole day was downhill which made things a lot faster but stomping on my feet all day makes them sore. I try to jog a little on the downhills, like with a little bounce, so try and soften the blows. The first half of the day was more hoedown blowdowns. Raechel counted over 150 logs we had to climb over or under or go around. Even when you go around it’s not easy; you have to climb the sleep ridge and I’ve fallen on the way down multiple times. What was worse than all of that was the overgrowth. I am clumsy as it is, so it doesn’t help when I can’t see my feet or the rocks I’m tripping over. The bushes smack me and scrape me in the face and the legs. We all looked like mangled messes after it was all over. We took a lunch break at the river before the 7 mile road walk. It was very hot from the high exposure, so when a hiker offered to drive us the rest of the way to the cafe, we said yes! I feel like a hypocrite after I criticized Koa for hitching a road walk in the dessert, and now I don’t care anymore. I don’t feel bad because this way, we made it to the cafe before closing at 2:00pm. The coffee milkshake was the best I’ve ever had!! We were able to do chores like resupply, shower, and laundry. I sat in the queue for the shower and two girls were waiting. For some reason they got up and left and two guys came over to join the queue. They asked “is there even anyone in there?” I hadn’t actually checked, I just took the girls word for it and I could hear the shower going. Anyway, I figured I would knock on the showers to see if they were occupied. The first one I knocked on, the lady inside shouted “I’ll be done in five minutes!” in a very angry tone. I said “oh sorry that was the first time I knocked.” Apparently people kept knocking for her to hurry up and I got the repercussions. She apologized after I explained no one else was here when I showed up. There were chargers to plug in all my electronics at the campground. I hung out in the grass with lots of hikers. It felt so relaxing to have nothing to do for the rest of the night. We were sitting near the road and heard a loud vehicle coming. A person standing on a quad came flying by with a rifle strapped to his back. Some of the foreigners made the comment “we need to get out of California (or the State of Jefferson I learned)!” Since there was a grill, we did a huge hot dog dinner with every hiker in the area. Tomorrow, we wake up early for a 7 mile climb out of town. 

No comments:

Post a Comment