Sunday, July 17, 2022

Day 108

Trail miles: 13.2
Total: 1607.2











I woke up entirely too early to make it to the shuttle by 8:00am, but that gave me a little leeway in how fast I walked. And it took the pressure off when I got signal or took videos of the sunrise. Our shuttle driver was described on FarOut as “she’s a lovely old lady for whom yellow lines are just an abstract concept.” She was driving in each lane an exactly equal amount of time, stepping on the gas right before each 180 degree turn we took. I could hear the tires screech. We made it safely to an empty laundromat. We were able to do our resupply at the gas station and The Dollar General while our laundry was going, which was very efficient. I grabbed a chocolate milk and breakfast sandwich and then walked into town. It was like 100 degrees and we had to walk a half mile into town in our rain gear because we didn’t want to get our newly washed clothes all sweaty. I was dripping sweat so bad by the time I got to Rays to pick up a shower token and towel for $5. And then I had to walk another half mile to the town park where the shower was. Luckily it was a super hot day out because I could figure out how to turn on the hot water. Turns out hot was cold and cold was hot. I did think of that and tried it but I ended up turning the knob too far and the water turned off. I wasn’t smart enough to think not to turn it that far, I just too a cold shower. Then I laid in the grass of the park for like two hours and it was the most relaxed I’ve been in a while. I talked to hikers as they came and went and Jonah even gave me a beer! Too soon came the time where I had to keep my chores going which only involved going to the gear shop and eating a meal. I found new sun gloves! It was so hot that the only thing at the brewery that sounded appetizing was a salad. Which is the best decision because everyone else got the meat sweats. We drove back to the trail with the same crazy trail angel driver from before and she was just as bad. She would look over her shoulder before a curve to make sure no one was coming before she cut the corner completely. Back on trail, we made it to the spring 7 miles in and I was able to climb the hill and make it to canoe right at 8:00pm. Courtney and Jonah were there too. I cowboy camped because of how late we got in and I never want to do it again because my sleeping bag got so dirty and the mosquitoes were biting my face.

No comments:

Post a Comment