Sunday, July 10, 2022

Day 103

Trail miles: 0
Total: 1501.2










A relaxing morning with a full breakfast. We had eggs, bacon, toast, and chocolate chip pancakes. I got all my stuff ready to go and still had time to finish some secondary chores, like updating my blog and making note of the food I have leftover. I even had time to watch some Only Murders in the Building. We rolled off to Mt Shasta (listening to Panera Bread music), but first our BnB host had to show us the headwaters spring, saying it was the purest water. To be fair, the water was coming straight out of the ground like springs do, but there were people just washing their feet in the water right at the top. So I will not be drinking feet water. There was a lot of people there for a UFO convention. If you remember last night at the Mexican restaurant, that is what the older man thought we were apart of. We left and she dropped us off right in front of the infamous Yaks restaurant. It was delicious! I got a chipotle bacon rice bowl, peach smoothie, and a pumpkin muffin. I haven’t eaten the pumpkin muffin yet, but if it was like the rest, I know it’ll be good. I would go there over and over again. Definitely top three places I have eaten so far on trail. The gear store was perfect as well! They had all I needed and the worked helped so much. He fixed up a pair of inserts for me with a pad for my metatarsals and shim under the heel to take pressure off my arch. I really hope these help because I need my feet to feel better for these 25 mile days. It was around that time were I found our Krista had stayed back to go back to the headwaters with the host so they could participate in the drum circle. You’ll have to ask her more about how it was but I know that she lost the host for a little while and ran into someone selling psychedelic mushrooms. Doesn’t sound like she bought any though. She came back eventually to do town chores. The first grocery store was small so we went to the bigger one across town called Rays. It went a lot better but no squeeze peanut butter. I finally caved and got a jar for the first time. I hate it. But I guess I’m the only one who doesn’t do it. I got a bunch of the usuals. Tuna, mashed potatoes, snickers. And then some cash back at the register to pay for the BnB which was 80 for the two nights. That includes rides and laundry so I didn’t think it was too bad. Jonah and Courtney invited us to the Best Western where we met them and Starcrunch and Moss at the hot tub. I talked to a Jonah for a bit about the mental challenges of the trail and going forward. Then we ate dinner at the hotel restaurant. I got a crab cake sandwich which was not too bad. On the way back to the BnB, we stopped at the Dollar General to grab more resupply items and ice cream. I got straight to work when we got back so we could go to bed and the host hovered around a while. I think Brad offered her a beer. Tomorrow we will head out early after the post office. I think it’s best I try to get a head start on the miles from now on. Mentally, I am going into this week different. I will hike all day long, I know that is the key to success now. I have to accept that I do this now and I get done and never have to do it again. It’s just a couple months of my life in the grand scheme of things and I will soon be able to go back to relaxed weekend trips. You know, thinking about how much I’m doing now, I know I can do big miles and everything after this will hopefully be a breeze.

No comments:

Post a Comment