Monday, July 11, 2022

104

Trail miles: 17.7
Total: 1518.9











Even though we had to leave by 8:30am I still felt pretty relaxed to get my things all packed up. Raechel made breakfast again so I was able to make a breakfast sandwich. I sent my sleeping pad and some other things home at the post office while Raechel and Lifeguard ran out the gas in their old gas canisters to throw out. We hiked about 9 miles to the last water source before the big climb. I got through those miles as quick as I could muster and made it without stopping. We talked about if we should do the climb in the 100F temperatures. I soaked my shirt in the creek before leaving and put up my umbrella. The climb was very exposed and I had to stop a few times because of how hot it was. I did eventually make it where everyone was hanging out at the spring. Then I realized I dropped my hat along the way, but Lifeguard came to the rescue with my hat in tow! She recognized it and picked it up for me. I’m so grateful because I am very attached to that hat. We ended up eating dinner there at the spring to wait out some more of the heat, take a long break from the climb, and make sure we weren’t eating too late at camp. It was actually enjoyable because I got a long break and I didn’t have to do anything when I got to camp. I got to camp quickly after that as I am still trying to hike fast. The campsite tonight is so beautiful. Probably the best one on trail. We can see Castle Crags in front of us and Mt. Shasta off in the distance to our left. The sunset is showing pinks and blues. It’s a perfect excuse to cowboy camp. But I’m not sure if I can handle all these hover bees.

No comments:

Post a Comment