Tuesday, June 21, 2022

Day 83

Trail miles: 18.9
Total: 1079.4












I was in a good mood this morning and it was probably the espresso shot in the cliff bar I ate but I didn’t care. I felt great. Something about the weather and the views helped. Today we had to go over Carson Pass which I didn’t even know until Brad mentioned it. We stopped planning around the passes so I stopped paying attention. There were two traverses before the peak of the pass that required microspikes. The first was kind of scary because the steps weren’t really carved in. Brad went first and did a good job of using his heal to dig them in better. I should have given him more space when I started because I caught up to him and standing up there just waiting does not help the nerves. I try to get across as quickly as possible while still trying to keep my footing. I had to shorten my trekking pole on the uphill side to help strike it into the snow since the snow was higher. I’m glad I kept the microspikes and I’m glad I convinced Krista to keep hers. The second patch was far less scary. I think the first was was worse because it was longer. The second one flattened out halfway so it was easy to walk normal. Anyway, all four of us made it across just fine and there was no snow on the decent. 

At the visitor’s center, there was trail magic! Like actual hot dog cooking trail magic. Two days in a row! I ate so much as lunch that I got a cramp going up the approach to Carson Pass, but that didn’t stop me from immediately accepting a hot dog and Coke. And watermelon and cookies. His trail name was Savior and he had hiked the PCT in 2020. He told us stories of his trip and how the Pandemic changed things. He was really nice to talk to. We didn’t make it too much farther after that, but it’s ok because we have less that 12 miles into town tomorrow. Also Krista and Lifeguard have been having to dig cat holes like every 30 minutes today. Last night they had the same dinner. And I have bought that meal too, but never ate it. I’m wondering if I should toss it. Probably not a good idea to hiker box it if it’s going to give someone digestive problems.

Apparently Spare Change, Big Owl, and Raechel are having the best time in Tahoe! Buffets, bars, Top Gun. I can’t wait to see them tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment