Wednesday, June 8, 2022

Day 66

Trail miles: 19.5
Total: 835.1












We passed over what was labeled as the sketchiest pass this year, and for good reason! Before there was light in the sky, the ton of us set out to climb 1 mile to the top of Mather pass. There wasn’t snow on the first 30 minutes of climbing but the next section was the steepest switchbacks of snow that we have come across. It definitely called for a nice axe. The boys headed right on up without wasting anytime. I of course wasted all the time by taking photos of them climbing up and of the sunrise over the mountains. While Moss is as climbing, Krista had to call up and tell him his ice axe was backwards, and then started giving him a lesson in how to do it while he was looking back from the pass. The snow was the easy part. We climbed straight up the scariest rock scramble I have ever done. And I had to do it was a 40 pound pack on. Luckily, halfway up there was snow steps I could transfer to. The part that was worrisome was the gravel just fell down the side of the cliff as you stepped on it, so every step was a gamble. And you were headed sliding down the pass if you missed. It took so much energy to get up that I had to catch my breath. The rest of the snow was good as long as you took it with caution. Then we sand happy birthday to Moss at the top! I got it all on GoPro; it was a shock to everyone. I set up the GoPro on the tripod like always for a group summit photo. Once I took the two photos, I said “GoPro start recording,” and began the birthday song. I just thought of doing it in that moment and I’m so glad I did. Krista and Jonah have been taking ass pictures on the top of every pass and today they recruited Big Owl. I think Brad with join tomorrow. Seems like we will all have to do it on the last pass. The way down was no as scary for sure so I put away my ice axe. And then we got to cruise to lunch with 8 or so miles of downhill through the beautiful Sierras. I accidentally slipped into the dumbest puddle on the way down, twice. I tried to get out and slipped right back in. At least I had time to dry my shoes and socks out before bed. I didn’t hear until lunch, but Dan fell and Jonah had to catch him. Then Brad had to help him back his way down the mountain while someone carried his pack. The water crossings today were easily manageable by rock hopping or taking a log. I met a dayhiking group who met through their job at the Berkeley REI. The next 7.5 miles to camp were uphill and I got there by 5:00! Enough time to watch some Stranger Things. Dinner was a Mountain House fettuccine. It tastes good at the start, probably because I am so hungry. Then by the end, when I am not hungry anymore, it tastes way worse. I am getting real tired of these dehydrated meals. Blah. I saw so many deer today! One was right by the trail eating, so I was able to get some close pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment