Wednesday, June 8, 2022

Day 67

Trail miles: 23.7
Total: 858.8













Yesterday’s pass was the sketchiest, and today’s was the most physically difficult. The snow came up pretty quickly and it was a long steady uphill. I took it slow with Big Owl and enjoyed the views. The snow was everywhere, no patches this time around. We had to keep checking where the trail was because there were footprints going everywhere. Basically we traversed straight up the hill and cut off a lot of switchback miles. It was ok because the snow was still very frozen and the spikes dug it confidently. The sun cups made it hard to keep in between the holes. One time I was looking up the hill at the trail ahead, and I fell into someone’s post hole! I completely ate it and rolled on my side. At the top was Muir Hut! It was much better than any hut on top of the mountain because it wasn’t fully filled with snow. We got more photos and more people joined in to the butt pics. It’s what John Muir would have wanted. After the pass, it’s always every man for themself, so the boys run down the hill. I was so lethargic from hunger, but I wanted to make it past the snow before it got too soft. And boy, did it get soft quick! As soon as the sun rose, we were sliding all around. Unfortunately, that was the last we saw of the sun today. It started raining on us as soon as Brad got his sleeping bag out to dry! It was the first time I’ve had to deal with rain in over 60 days! I was glad that I had my umbrella. It was in and off though and a light rain. We had a alternate route today to cross the river at a lower spot of the river, and then the rest of the water crossings had bridges! After lunch, Brad and I made it a mission to finish the 8.3 miles to camp before 6:00 and we made it at 5:55. Dinner was chicken fried rice and much better than last nights dinner. Jonah told us that some people are going to try to push into town a day early, and we went over mileage for how we can make it work and still do the last two passes together. I will still get into Mammoth on Tuesday, because I am enjoying the Sierras!

No comments:

Post a Comment