Sunday, March 15, 2020

Laurel Highlands Hiking Trail


This weekend was the last test for gear and strength for the trail next week. We hiked 12.5 miles to the Ohiopyle shelters and walked back 5 miles the next morning. I felt strong hiking the trail and feel good about my pack weight. I stayed mostly warm in my new -10F sleeping bag, but I'm wondering if I still need to add a sleeping pad with a larger R-value (so the cold from the ground doesn't reach me). And I still haven't learned from the Loyalsock trip to bring an extra set of gloves or just buy some waterproof ones.

Around 4:00 am I woke up to the sound of someone throwing a snowball at my tent every 30 seconds. I realized the 5 inches of snow were melting from the tree branches in large chunks and falling on my tent. I put my headphones in to drown out the noise, but once a very large chunk hit the tent, I feared for the integrity of the DCF material. I got out to see about moving my tent, but the snow was falling everywhere. Because I couldn't sleep, I decided to build the fire in the lean two back up. It was at that point I had to decide between the snowballs hitting my tent or the mice scurrying above my head.

Fun weekend and a solid climb in the morning to test my ability!

No comments:

Post a Comment