Friday, February 28, 2020

FAQs

Now that everyone at work knows what I'm doing, I've been getting a lot of questions about the trail. Here are the questions that have been coming up the most:

Where will you sleep?
I am carrying my tent and sleeping bag with me and I'll stop to sleep when I'm tired of walking or the weather gets bad. Hopefully a flat spot, with coverage from the wind, and not an area for water to pool.

How do you get food?
I will carry around 4-6 days worth of food with me and cook dinner using my BRS stove with a fuel canister attached. I will only carry a bear canister in the Sierra's where it's mandatory and everywhere else I have a bear bag hanging kit. When we get to a town (which which mainly involves hitch hiking), I will either have a prepacked box I'll have my mom shipped or go to the largest grocery store and fill up for the next section. I have chosen towns to send boxes to based on previous years' hikers.

Are you carrying a gun?
No

How cold will it get?
At night it can get as low as 20F.

How will you get water?
There is an app called Guthook that documents all the water sources along the trail. People can comment on the app with the most up to date information. The longest stretch between water sources will be about 30 miles, in which we'll have to "camel up." A water source can be anything from a stream to a water cache someone donated.

Showers?
I'll shower when I can! I guess on average that will be once a week. I know, gross.

No comments:

Post a Comment