Wednesday, December 11, 2019

What I'm doing about my contacts

A couple days ago I had my last appointment with my eye doctor before hopping on the trail in March. Over a year ago, I shared my upcoming adventure with her and asked for advice on how to avoid wearing glasses. Her ideas included overnight contacts, daily disposable contacts, and getting eye surgery. We settled on overnight contacts on trail and wearing glasses in town, but she had to see how my eyes reacted to sleeping in the contacts over the year before saying yes because I have astigmatism (which basically means I shouldn't sleep in contacts).The big condition being that I am not allowed to touch my eyes AT ALL unless I have access to soap and a sink - so in town.

I plan on carrying Refresh contact eye drops, glasses, a contact case with solution, and a spare pair of contacts. Over this past year, I conditioned my eyes to sleeping in the contacts similar to how it would be out on the trail, allowing my eyes to adjust. I got the green light from my doctor to continue with the schedule on the trail! The last thing I'll do is give my eyes a break from contacts entirely a couple weeks before my start date. Wouldn't want another blinding eye infection like the one I got in high school summer camp.

No comments:

Post a Comment